The ship was laid down as "Admiral von Tirpitz", but after launching on the 20th of December 1913, in February 1914 the name was changed to "Tirpitz".
Owner HAPAG, Hamburg, Germany.
Built by "Vulcan" Werke, Stettin, Germany.
Grt. 21.498, l.o.a. !87.43 mt.
Engine type Steam, Turbines with Fottinger hydraulic gearing.
In August 1914 the work on the ship was halted because of WW 1. In November 1920 the completed ship was handed over the United Kingdom, managed for the Shipping Controller by the P & O Line as a troop transport. On July 25 1921 the vessel was sold to the Canadian Pacific Line, London, United Kingdom and renamed "Empress of China".